Justices weigh lawsuits over vaccine side effects

Will E Worm

Justices weigh lawsuits over vaccine side effects

The Supreme Court is trying to sort out whether drug companies can be sued for claims of serious side effects from childhood vaccines without driving vaccine makers from the market and risking a public health crisis.

The court heard arguments Tuesday in an appeal filed by Pittsburgh-area parents who want to sue drug maker Wyeth, which is owned by Pfizer Inc., for the health problems they say their 18-year-old daughter suffered from a vaccine she received in infancy.

Several justices appeared sympathetic to the parents' plea to be allowed to make their case in court.

Wyeth, backed by the Obama administration and many public health groups, argued that Congress shielded drug companies from most vaccine lawsuits when it created a special vaccine court 24 years ago to handle the claims.

But if lawmakers wanted to prevent lawsuits like the one at issue Tuesday, "they could have said simply that no vaccine manufacturer may be held civilly liable if the vaccine is properly prepared and accompanied by proper directions and adequate warnings," Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said.

On the other hand, Chief Justice John Roberts said, it could be argued "that because they set up a compensation scheme, that was a good sign that they didn't want to allow state law claims."

Article

Of course, people should be allowed to sue.

Big Pharma should always be held accountable as well as the FDA for allowing the drugs on the market.

They should be prescribing medicine that heals, rather than drugs that only patch up the problem.

Aren't drugs illegal? :rolleyes:

I'm tired of the lies. You should be as well. ;)

deadip

Article

Of course, people should be allowed to sue.

Big Pharma should always be held accountable as well as the FDA for allowing the drugs on the market.

They should be prescribing medicine that heals, rather than drugs that only patch up the problem.

Aren't drugs illegal? :rolleyes:

I'm tired of the lies. You should be as well. ;)
Again, another shallow minded response for something you apparently have no real medical knowledge of Will E. Worm. Maybe you should re-read these statements:

Justice Stephen Breyer sketched the argument made in court papers by pediatricians, other doctors and public health organizations that if the drug companies lose, judges and juries will be making decisions about vaccines, instead of the Food and Drug Administration. "The result could well be driving certain vaccines from the market, and basically, a lot of children will die," Breyer said.

According to the lawsuit, Hannah Bruesewitz was a healthy infant until she received the diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine in April 1992. Within hours of getting the DPT shot, the third in a series of five, the baby suffered a series of debilitating seizures. Now a teenager, Hannah suffers from residual seizure disorder, the suit says.

These are childhood vaccines for some very, serious, deadly, childhood diseases. Drugs that are Perfectly Legal and went through the proper Legalization Processes. These are NOT some Street Drugs as you claim in your ridiculous statements here. Even Perfectly Legal Drugs, that benefit more people than they harm or even kill have side effects. Even Aspirin has side effects and it's PERFECTLY LEGAL.

Does the family deserve some compensation for what happened to their daughter or to help pay for her medical care the rest of her life??? Maybe it's possible. It could even end that way. The way it reads to me, NO FINAL Decision has been made in their case as yet. Sure looks like to me they have a valid argument or claim.

Maybe you should put a little more thought into your responses, before you go losing control of yourself.

Will E Worm

Again, another shallow minded response for something you apparently have no real medical knowledge of Will E. Worm.

Oh, but I do. ;)

People like Justice Stephen Breyer and the public health organizations, especially the World Health Organization, lie.

deadip

Oh, but I do. ;)

People like Justice Stephen Breyer and the public health organizations, especially the World Health Organization, lie.
Gee, I'm still alive. Everyone's body chemistry is different, so even Legal Drugs will NOT cure everybody. I bet you got your shots, when you was a kid, too and you're still alive. Some of those so called Drugs mentioned in this news article you posted here are required by Law or you can't go to the Public School System.

I even had to endure 4 sessions of Chemo Therapy and that's a Poison flowing through my Veins. I'm now in Remission from Lung Cancer and still alive for now.

Since you think you are such a Medical Expert, PROVE IT!!! PROVE that these PEOPLE LIE!!!

Last edited:

Will E Worm

You can agree to disagree. That is about as close as we are going to agree.

You need to stop listening to people and do your own research and you will be surprised at what you find. ;)