Snowmageddon

Will E Worm

A blizzard battered the Mid-Atlantic region Saturday, with emergency crews struggling to keep pace with the heavy, wet snow that has piled up on roadways, toppled trees and left thousands without electricity.

Officials urged people to huddle at home and out of the way of emergency crews. Forecasters said the storm could be the biggest for the nation's capital in modern history.

A record 2 1/2 feet or more was predicted for Washington. As of early Saturday, 10 inches of snow was reported at the White House, while parts of Maryland and West Virginia were buried under more than 20 inches. Forecasters expected snowfall rates to increase, up to 2 inches per hour through Saturday morning.

Blizzard warnings were issued for the District of Columbia, Baltimore, parts of New Jersey and Delaware, and some areas west of the Chesapeake Bay.

"Things are fairly manageable, but trees are starting to come down," said D.C. fire department spokesman Pete Piringer, whose agency responded to some of the falling trees. No injuries were reported.

Airlines canceled flights, churches called off weekend services and people wondered if they would be stuck at home for several days in a region ill-equipped to deal with so much snow.

Article

How much snow is in your area?

Attachments

• snowmageddon.jpg
    snowmageddon.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0

deadip

We didn't get any here in North Central Iowa, USA as yet. But in the forecast for Super Bowl Sunday Night and all day Monday, an Alberta Clipper is supposed to come whizzing through the area with High Winds and about 3 to 5 inches of snow. I hope it doesn't happen as I have to travel 104 Miles south to the State of Iowa Capital City of Des Moines, Iowa to the VA Hospital there for a couple of Pre-Surgery Tests.

I broken my left foot inside my home on 28 Dec. 2009. I found out, the hard way, my foot had went to sleep and instead of putting the bottom of my left foot on the floor, I ended up putting the outside of my left foot on the floor, that my outside ankle even kissed the floor. OUCH!!!!

Will E Worm

Another major storm headed to snowy Mid-Atlantic

Snow blew across the Midwest Tuesday on track for the hard-hit Mid-Atlantic region, where federal government offices were closed for a second straight day and utility workers struggled to restore power knocked out by a weekend blizzard.

The storm hit the Midwest early, closing schools and greeting commuters with slick, slushy roads from Minneapolis and Chicago to Louisville, Ky. Hundreds of flights were canceled at Chicago's airports as the storm moved across Illinois, where up to a foot of snow was forecast.

Powerful winds and snow were expected to hit Mid-Atlantic states by the afternoon, and could leave as much as 20 inches of new snow in Washington and 18 inches near Philadelphia - a Northeast travel hub - by Wednesday night. New York City announced students would have a rare snow day Wednesday, only the third in six years.

Article

Round two. ;)

Parts of the region were already buried under nearly 3 feet.